The Dominican monastery of St. Peter the Martyr was founded in 1482. At the end of the 16th c., following the Turkish attack on the island, it was fortified with two rounded turrets. In the church, which was rebuilt in 1896, there is the tomb of the famous Croatian poet Petar Hektorović and his mother Katarina. Hektorović's lines in the Croatian language of the 16th century are carved over the church’s entrance from the side of the cloister.
The monastery’s numerous works of art can be found on the altars (the most beautiful being a painted wooden renaissance crucifix on the main altar) and in the monastery’s museum. Undoubtedly the most valuable painting is The Mourning of Christ by the Venetian master Tintoretto (1518–1594) that was once on the Hektorović’s altar. The oldest inscriptions found in Croatia are exhibited in this museum - written in Greek, they are testimony to the tempestuous life of the Greek Pharos, from the 4th to the 2nd c. BC.
The monastery also has a large library with manuscripts and incunabula, and part of those treasures is on display in the monastery’s museum.